Intro to Screen Printing
Come learn the unique and exciting art form of screen printing! Use silkscreen frames and water-based ink to create impressions on paper!
Prior to Week One:
Email goes out asking what project folks hope to accomplish during this class, and asking them to brainstorm a few options to choose from. Full copy of the syllabus. Expect to produce at least one edition (size of edition will vary) of a 2 color print.
Some examples include:
- Small poster
- Typography (phrase, saying, quote, etc)
These are just a few examples. Our goal is to help you execute your vision within the time and skill constraints of the four week class.
To learn the basics of screen printing, such as; overall design, image production, press operation, paper and ink use.
- Get to know your shop. Safety!
- Identify equipment.
- Explanation and demonstration of printing process.
- How do you make images?
- What is trapping?
- Practice printing.
- Q&A (bring questions and we’ll discuss!)
- Pick up where we left off.
- Discuss and finalize ideas for your project.
- Discuss paper and ink color choices. Make choices.
- Discuss process for preparing artwork for printing.
- What is a separation?
- Discuss any problems that have arisen and solve.
- Begin production of your project.
- How do you burn a screen?
- Finish printing.