Intro to Letterpress Printing
Come learn the unique and exciting art form of letterpress printing! Use moveable type, carvings, and etchings to create impressions using one of our 7 different presses.
Prior to Week One:
Email goes out asking what project folks hope to accomplish during this class, and asking them to brainstorm a few options to choose from. Full copy of the syllabus. Expect to produce at least one edition (size of edition will vary) of 2+ color print using type and/or images.
Some examples include:
- Cover of a chapbook and bindery techniques
- One awesome quote (there will not be time or skill enough to typeset your entire book)
- One short poem
- Birthday or Thank You cards
- Post cards (2 sided)
These are just a few examples. Our goal is to help you execute your vision within the time and skill constraints of the four week class.
To learn the basics of letterpress printing, such as; overall design, image production, press operation, color separation, typesetting, paper and ink use.
- Get to know your shop. Safety!
- Identify presses.
- What is type? What kinds of type can I use? Why?
- How do you make images?
- Responses to the question, “What project do I hope to accomplish?”
- Examine ideas and determine one viable project to complete.
- Start sketching ideas and heading toward our projects.
- Pick up where we left off.
- Sketches should be complete and projects should be well underway by the end of this class.
- Discuss color separations/backgrounds. Select appropriate blocks/type.
- Discuss paper and ink color choices. Make choices.
- Demo of typesetting.
- Start typesetting projects.
- Discuss any problems that have arisen and solve.
- Finish any typesetting. Lock up chases to prepare to print.
- Demo of printing.
- Cut paper and begin to print.
- Finish printing.
- Demo of trimming/finishing.
- Mark project for trimming (I will trim them for you when they are dry).
- Put away type.